1. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. 0.5×10=5
has deprive decrease live take materialize bless lost
We the people (a) —— in Bhola are always (b) —— though we have many natural assets. We
(c) —— with several natural assets. Our total land is (d) —— day by day due to river erosion.
As a result, people (e) —— in coastal area (f) —— their all the belongings along with their (g)
—— places. Steps (h) —— by the government (i) —— properly because of corruption. So the
concerned authority (j) —— to interfere the matter.
2. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
become Curb be Take adulterate accumulate suffer hanker go
We always (a) —— for various diseases only for food adulteration. Food adulteration (b) ——
a subject of great concern nowadays. In spite of government’s sincere efforts, this evil practice
(c) —— on. We (d) —— more careful in the regard, (e) —— foods are (f) —— by people
everyday. Consequently the poison (g) —— in our bodies day by day and it (h) —— very
dangerous. The businessmen (i) —— after money (j) —— committing this heinous deed.
3. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
write describe Hear to be hear surprise go imitate hiss twitter
It is quite long time since I have (a) —— from you. During this period, I did (b) —— to you.
Anyway, I will now (c) —— my visit to our National Zoo. On last Friday, I went to our
National Zoo by a taxicab at 10 am. At first, I went into the shed in which the monkeys. Before
I could get hear them, I could (e) —— their chattering. Then I (f) —— to the shed of the
snakes-I was (g) —— to see a big python and a cobra that was (h) ——. Going to the shed of
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
run spend wear have Enjoy Be earn Bring Make enrich
Money (a) —— one happy unless it (b) —— through fair means. There are people who (c) —
— a lot of money but it (d) —— peace of mind to them. Their hours and days (e) —— only for
earning money. Thus they get used to (f) —— after it till death. They (g) —— their bags of
money but their money is a liability to them. Costly dress is (h) ——by them but their costly
dress cannot give them peace. On the other hand, the poor (i) ——happy though they do not
have wealth or money. They (j) —— the peace of mind.
5. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
take worry Pray Give Offer shuttle remain keep Make Do Be publish
With extreme competition everywhere parents are constantly (a) —— about the results. This
(b) —— a common sight during the S.S.C. Examinations in thousands of families. Special
prayers (c)—— in families having such an examinee. Parents (d) —— special care of their
children. They (e) —— sure that their wards get along with studies without the slightest of
problems even without mosquito bites. Parents (f) —— to mazars and temples and (g) —— for
the examinees. Sometimes they (h) —— cash money and kinds of their wards. Parents of an
examinee usually (i) —— worried until the result (j) ——.
6. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
give realize provide help are Destroy do think Cause Face
Trees (a) —— useful to man in three very important ways. They (b) —— him with wood and
other products, they (c) —— him shade and they (d) —— to prevent drought and floods.
Unfortunately, in many parts of the world man has (e) —— that the third of these services is
the most important. People are (f) —— harm to trees in many ways. They are (g) —— forests.
They hardly (h) —— that present world is (i) —— many environment problems of
deforestation (j) —— by humans. We need massive afforestation to save the earth.
7. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
express make want Change leave find observe accept declare Orbit
Galileo was born in Italy in 1542. His father (a) —— him to study medicine. But he became a professor of Mathematics (b) —— his medicine course. Galileo observed the solar system with a telescope (c) —— by himself and came to the conclusion that the earth and other planets orbit the sun. Previously Copernicus (d) —— the same view which went against the Bible. The church forced Galileo to disown his view publicly but he did (e) —— his real belief till his death in 1942. Though his view was not (f) —— then, he was right in his observation. Later, the church (g) —— him right. Nowadays, people of all classes can easily (h) —— with more powerful telescope that earth and the planets (i) —— the sun as seen and (j) —— by Copernicus and Galileo.
8. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
finish take Help Be go come get suffer send know
My dear X,
The news of your sudden admission into Sylhet Osmani Medical College Hospital (a) —— me
a back. I have learnt that you (b) —— from gastric pain for about a week. I (c) —— beside you
in the hospital. But you (d) —— my text examination (e) —— on. It (f) —— on the 2nd
proximo. Immediately after the examination, I (g) —— to meet you. I (h) —— my younger
brother, John to hand you some books. These (i) —— you to remove your boredom, (j)——not
9. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
sacrifice achieve struggle rule stamp Strangle
be consider uphold demonstrate been Demise
Bangladesh (a) —— by world communities as a country of all possibilities. We can (b) ——
our lives with a view to (c) —— the rightful position of our mother tongue and for (d) ——
freedom. On the other hand, we can (e) —— our ungratefulness by killing the organizer of
independent. We (f) —— for democracy arid subsequently strangle it while in (g) —— the
country. We can become frequently world champion in corruption. Again we vow to (h) ——
out it from our national life. We have already (i) —— successful to bolt the spot of being the
most corrupt in the world. What a strange nation we (j) ——!
10. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
attain Make establish obey perform connect bring pass
Parents and children (a) —— a family. They (b) —— with one another by blood, love and
affection. The children (c) —— through the days of infancy without the loving care of their
parents. It is the parents who (d) —— them up, nourish them, nurse them in sickness, give
them proper educational help to get (e) —— in life. Parents have to (f) —— their duties so that
their children can (g) ——. But children have certain duties to be (h) —— by them for (i) ——
prosperity. They must (j) —— their parents.
11. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
make Quicken bring have Occupy deepen gain transmit be change
Information technology has (a) —— the process of globalization. In the field of information
technology internet has (b) —— greatly. It has (c) —— the world smaller and (d) —— the
world within our reach. It can (e) —— information within a short time. It (f) —— also (g) —
— a great change in banking sectors. It has (h) —— our knowledge and (i) —— our life
pattern. So, we cannot help (j) —— knowledge of it.
12. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
fight think suspend name be ask call be call reply give call
Once Edison (a) —— from his school for two days. His parents were (b) —— in. The issue (c)
—— fighting. Little Edison was (d) —— the reason. The reply, you may (e) —— today, was
amazing. The boy (f) —— because few of his friends (g) —— him ‘Pele.’ He disliked it as he
had been (h) —— after the great scientist Edison. He took pride in the name. However, the
suspension (i) —— over, he returned to school. But he found disappointedly that now all his
friends (j) —— him ‘Pele’ to irritate him. Can you identify this boy?
13. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
become respect gain build hesitate have dishonour avoid lack distinguish
There are various kinds of qualities which (a) —— a good man from a bad man. The
aggregates of these noble qualities of head and heart (b) —— character. A man of character (c)
—— a real prince among men. He (d) —— by all. On the other hand, a characterless man (e)
—— everywhere. A characterless man (f) —— vast wealth, but he (g) —— people’s
compliments. Such a man (h) —— honesty, tolerance and love for others. He (i) —— to cheat
people. So people always try (j) —— him.
14. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
bestow have owe be belong enable cause lose show grow
We (a) —— our nature for (b) —— us with her gifts lavishly. We (c) —— a large area of land
but the negligible area of land that (d) —— to us is very fertile. We (e) —— ungrateful to her.
But our activities (f) —— that we have (g) —— ungrateful to our soil. We are constantly (h)
—— soil pollution by our unwise activities. As a result, our fertile land is (i) —— its fertility
which has (j) —— us to grow corps easily.
15. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
launch be Satisfy achieve See make inspire result carry land
Man has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. He (a) —— with what he has known and (b)
——. He wants to know and see more and more. The curiousity to know more (c) —— him to undertake and (d) —— out hard and dangerous tasks which eventually (e) —— in epoch- making discovering. In the fields of science and technology man in the meantime (f) —— what (g) —— once inconceivable. Man has already (h) —— on the moon and (i) —— a journey to the Mars. Science has (j) —— the impossible possible.
16. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
request begin knock need complete wait keep talk suggest return
This is to inform you that our annual exam is (a) ——— at the door. But we could (b) ——our
syllabus as yet. So we (c) —— some extra classes before our examination. We now (d) ———
you to arrange taking extra classes. It will be better for us if the classes begin before school (e)
——. We have (f) —— to our guardians about the problem and decision. They have (g) ——
us for extra classes. They are ready to (h) —— for us until we (i) —— home and many of them
will come to the school and (j) —— waiting outside so as to take us home.
17. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
write look make send say be go stand lift know
I (a) —— a shy boy and my first day in school (b) —— me the laughing stock of the
classroom. I (c) —— to the blackboard to write my name and address. I (d) —— my name and
address, but (e) —— at the blackboard with the eyes of many students (f) —— at me made me
freeze inside and I was unable to write a single letter, “(g) —— your name,” the teacher (h) —
— to me. I (i) —— the white chalk and as I was about to write, my mind (j) —— blank.
18. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
plot do include encourage make be have sacrifice inspire be
Patriotism (a) ——a noble virtue. It (b) —— a man (c) —— everything just and fair for the
country and countrymen. Actually it (d) —— those qualities, which (e) —— a person (f) ——
his/her life for the well being of his country. Patriotic zeal (g) —— a person dutiful and
enthusiastic. On the other hand, those who (h) —— devoid of patriotic zeal (i) —— any
scruple (j) —— against the country.
19. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
enjoy lash begin continue shout leap be forget talk pay
The battle between the mongoose and the cobra (a) ——. The mongoose, (b) —— violently,
seized the cobra’s lower jaw and clung to it while the cobra (c) —— its tail strongly, but it grew
weaker. In a few moments the cobra (d) —— killed. The crowd stood spellbound as long as the
fight (e) ——. But as soon as they saw the cobra dead, they burst into an applause. They began
(f) —— excitedly about the magic power of the mongoose. But they (g) —— the snake charmers who had lost a cobra. Moreover, they (h) —— the fight. So, they (i) —— the snake charmers generously and left the place (j) —— ‘hooray’.
20. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
encourage say observe come increase establish add proclaim develop give
The UNESCO (a) ——, February 21 as the International Mother Language Day (b) ——
worldwide in recognition of the sacrifices of the martyrs for (c) —— the rightful place of
Bangla. The declaration (d) —— in the form of a resolution generally in November 1999. The
UNESCO (e) —— that collectively the recognition (f) —— bearing in mind that (g) ——
mother tongue, widely not only (h) —— variety to language and (i) —— multilingualism also
(j) —— fuller awareness about language and cultural traditions throughout the world.
21. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. 0.5×10=5
experience come enjoy become seem prepare gossip enter appear sit
Once I (a) —— a full moonlit night. I (b) —— lesson in my reading room. Suddenly I noticed
that the heavenly light of the moon (c) —— into my room. I could not help (d) —— surprised.
I (e) —— out of my reading room and sat on the lawn. To me nature (f) —— in her magic
beauty. Her objects (g) —— to flash with heavenly radiance. I found a kind of harmony
between the world and the heaven. People (h) —— in the yard and (i) —— themselves (j) —.
22. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. 0.5×10=5
have think try be buy require face cheat
Price hiking of household products (a) —— now a problem for us. Everyday we (b) —— it.
Most of our people (c) —— low income are in danger. They (d) —— of purchasing meat and
fish as they (e) ——. The price of vegetables is also high. We are to bargain (f) —— a simple
product. Many times the buyers (g) ——. There (h) —— a fixed price for every time. Then it
(i) —— possible to make the buyers free from harassment. Government (j) —— to fulfill our
23. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
do be feel give mention arrive pass wait expect arrange
A gentleman had the misfortune of frequentiy forgetting important matters. Once he arranged
to (a) —— a dinner on his birthday to numerous relatives and friends. The appointed day (b)
——. But the guests (c) —— come. Half an hour (d) —— but still they did not come. The host
(e) ——really uneasy. As he (f) —— a very delicious dinner, he was still (g) —— the guests to
come. After a long (h) —— a few guests began to come. However, he could know the fact that
the time (i) —— in the invitation card (j) —— not right.
24. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
prove experience aim struggle establish break out found explode explode fall
The League of Nations, the first association of nations (a) —— to work for peace, was (b) ——
in 1919; four years from 1914 when the World War I (c) —— throughout Europe. The war had
(d) —— more destructive than anything that mankind had ever (e) ——. The League of
Nations (f) —— at outlawing war and settling international disputes by peaceful means. For 25
years the League of Nations (g) —— for peace. Atom bomb was first (h) —— on Hiroshima
and Nagasaki in the World War II. When the first bomb (i) ——, the world knew for the first
time that man has at long last been in possession of force destructive in all respects. The atom
25. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
lead raise prevent offer take rise be reject throw burn
Acid throwing is a heinous crime. Recently it (a) —— to an alarming proportion. Women (b)
—— the victims of acid throwing. A section of vagabond and morally degraded youth (c) ——
proposal of marriage or love to the beautiful girls. When the proposal is (d) —— they become
furious. They decide to (e) —— revenge by (f) ——acid on the girls. As a result of it, the faces
of the girls are (g) ——. The survivors of acid victims have to (h) —— a cursed life. With a
view to (i) —— acid throwing we should (j) —— strong public awareness.
26. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
approach prepare do make write hesitate gather cram read go
All can not (a) —— well in the examination. He crams when the examination (b) ——. On the
other hand, Arif always (c) —— a good result. Because he (d) —— notes himself, memorizes them and (e) —— them again and again. He knows that it is a bad habit (f) —— answers which (g) —— out of memory as soon as the examination is over. He has been able to (h) —— experience that one time writing is equal to (i) —— for ten times. This is why he (j) — to write whatever he learns.
27. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
do set put say inquire visit file buy keep tell
A poor man was once (a) —— in a jail although he had (b) —— no wrong. After a long time,
the king of the state (c) —— the jail and the man (d) —— him that he was innocent, but a case
(e) —— against him by some of his enemies. The king (f) —— privately and found that it was
true. He gave the man some money and (g) —— him free. He went straight to the market in
which there was a bird shop. There many wild birds (h) —— in cages for sale. He (i) —— to
the shopkeeper, “I wish to buy all the birds in your shop.” He then (j) —— all the birds and set
them free in the sky.
28. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
refresh be take enjoy take stroll walk avail keep do
A walk by the riverside in the evening (a) —— very useful and pleasant. One (b) —— not only
beautiful sight but also (c) —— fresh air. It (d) —— the mind when one (e) —— a walk by the
riverside. Bangladesh is a riverine country and you can (f) —— yourself of this opportunity of
(g) —— by the riverside. In the cities there are parks where you can go for (h) ——. This will
help you (i) —— fit. But if you (j) —— it regularly, you will not have the benefit.
29. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
say fight be call mean enter read pass tear see
The great leader of our country whom we love and admire is Sher-E-Bangla A.K. Fazlul Huq
(a) —— tiger. Fazlul Huq (b) —— for the cause of the country as like as a tiger. So he (c) —
— Sher-E-Bangla. His father Kazi Wazed Ali (d) —— a renowned pleader in the Barisal Bar.
From his boyhood, Fazlul Huq was very meritorious. One day the boy Fazlul Huq (e) —— in
his study. His father (f) —— by. He (g) —— Fazlul Huq was reading his lessons and (h) ——
off the pages of his book one after another. He at once (i) —— the room and (j) —— “O my
boy, why are you playing with your book?”
30. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. : 0.5×10=5
bring preserve carry come get give forget has hawk carry
When Rahamat (a) —— to Calcutta from Afghanistan, he (b) —— with him the impress of his
little daughter Rabeya’s palm on a piece of paper. He always (c) —— it with him. It (d) ——
with a five rupee note once Mini (e) —— him when he (f) —— delicacies. He (g) —— them
both to the jail. There he often (h) —— the treasures from the jailor and (i) —— a look at
them. He (j) —— his daughter Rabeya or Mini either.
1. (a) living; (b) deprived; (c) are blessed; (d) decreasing; (e) living; (f) lose; (g) living; (h) taken; (i) are not materialized;
2. (a) suffer; (b) is; (c) is going; (d) should be; (e) adulterated; (f) taken; (g) accumulates; (h) becomes; (i) hankering;
3. (a) not heard; (b) not write; (c) describe; (d) were; (e) hear; (f) went; (g)
surprised; (h) hissing; (i) twittering; (j) imitating.
4. (a) cannot make; (b) is earned; (c) have; (d) cannot bring; (e) are spent; (f) running; (g) enrich; (h) worn; (i) are; (j)enjoy.
5. (a) worried; (b) is; (c) are offered; (d) take; (e) make; (f) shuttle; (g) pray; (h) give; (i) remain; (j) is published.
6. (a) are; (b) provide; (c) give; (d) help; (e) not realized; (f) doing; (g) destroying; (h) think; (i) facing; (j)
7. (a) wanted; (b) leaving; (c) made; (d) expressed; (e) not change; (f) accepted; (g) found; (h) observe; (i) orbit; (j) declared.
8. (a) has taken; (b) have been suffering; (c) should be; (d) know; (e) is going; (f) will be finished; (g) will come; (h) am sending; (i) will help; (j) don’t get.
9. (a) is considered; (b) sacrifice; (c) upholding; (d) achieving; (e) demonstrate; (f) struggle; (g) ruling; (h)rtampostamp; (i) been; (j) are.
10. (a) make; (b) are connected; (c) cannot pass; (d) bring; (e) established; (f) perform (g) establish; (h) performed; (i) attaining; (j) obey.
11. (a) quickened; (b) occupied; (c) made; (d) brought; (e) transmit; (f) has; (g) brought; (h) deepened; (i) changed; (j)
12. (a) was suspended; (b) called; (c) was; (d) asked; (e) not think; (f) fought; (g) called; (h) named; (i) being; (j) called. 13. (a) distinguish; (b) build; (c) becomes; (d) is respected; (e) is dishonoured; (f) may have; (g) does not gain; (h) lacks; (i) does not hesitate; (j) to avoid.
14. (a) owe; (b) bestowing; (c) have; (d) belongs; (e) should not be; (f) show; (g) grown; (h) causing; (i) losing; (j) enabled.
15. (a) is not satisfied; (b) seen; (c) inspires; (d) carry; (e) results; (f) has achieved; (g) was; (h) landed; (i) launched; (j) made.
16. (a) knocking; (b) not complete; (c) need; (d) request; (e) begins; (f) talked; (g) suggested; (h) wait; (i) return; (j) keep.
17. (a) was; (b) made; (c) went; (d) could write; (e) standing; (f) looking; (g) Write; (h) said; (i) lifted; (j) was.
18. (a) is; (b) inspires; (c) to do; (d) includes; (e) encourage; (f) to sacrifice;
(g) makes; (h) is (i) do not have; (j) to
19. (a) began; (b) leaping; (c) lashed; (d) was; (e) continued; (f) to talk; (g) did not forget; (h) enjoyed (i) paid; (j) shouting.
20. (a) proclaimed; (b) to be observed; (c) establishing; (d) came; (e) said; (f) has been given; (g) developing; (h) will add; (i) will encourage; (j) will increase.
21. (a) experienced; (b) was preparing; (c) had entered; (d) becoming; (e) came; (f) appeared; (g) seemed; (h) sat; (i) enjoyed; (j) gossiping.
22. (a) is; (b) face; (c) having; (d) cannot think; (e) require; (f) to buy; (g) are cheated; (h) is; (i) is; (j) is trying.
23. (a) give; (b) arrived; (c) did not; (d) passed; (e) felt; (f) arranged; (g) expecting; (h) wait; (i) mentioned; (j) was.
24. (a) founded; (b) established; (c) broke out; (d) been proved; (e) experienced; (f) aimed; (g) struggled; (h) exploded; (i) fell; (j) exploded.25. (a) has risen; (b) are; (c) offer; (d) rejected; (e) take; (f) throwing; (g) burnt; (h) lead; (i) preventing; (j) raise.
26. (a) do; (b) approaches; (c) makes; (d) prepares; (e) write; (f) to cram; (g) go; (h) gather; (i) reading; (j) does not hesitate.
27. (a) put; (b) done; (c) visited; (d) told; (e) was filed; (f) inquired; (g) set; (h) were
kept; (i) said; (j) bought.
28. (a) is; (b) enjoys; (c) takes; (d) refreshes; (e) takes; (f) avail; (g) strolling/walking; (h) walking/strolling;
(i) keep; (j) don’t do.
29. (a) meaning; (b) fought; (c) was called; (d) was; (e) was reading; (f) was passing; (g) saw; (h) was tearing; (i) entered; (j) said.
30. (a) came; (b) brought; (c) carried; (d) was preserved; (e) had given; (f) hawked; (g) carried; (h) brought; (i) had; (j) could not forget.